Table of Content
As a beginner golf player, you’re probably trying to figure out what driver to add to your golf arsenal. Depending on who you ask for advice, there’ll be varying opinions on the best golf drivers for beginners.
It doesn’t get any easier when there are a variety of golf drivers available in the market.
Obviously, a golf driver is an essential club to have because it’s used exclusively to hit the ball off the tee.
It’s easily identifiable due to its length and size. A driver is the longest club in your golf bag measured from the top of the shaft to the bottom of the clubhead. It is designed that way so that it can hit the golf ball farther down the fairway.
While there is a standard length for drivers, it doesn’t mean you have to adjust your game with what’s available to you.
The driver must possess the qualities that will complement your playing style. There are several factors to consider when choosing the best driver to suit your needs as a new golfer.
You have to take into account the head size, the loft, shaft flex, weight, materials used, adjustability, and of course, budget. If you are able to identify your requirements and preferences, it will be much easier to find the driver that will help improve your game.
The Forgiveness Factor
The easiest golf driver to hit depends on the skill level of the golfer. For a high handicapper, the “forgiveness” factor matters.
This means that a forgiving driver is designed and constructed in such a way that its features minimize the effects of poor ball contact and terrible swing speed. It’s safe to say that the higher the handicap, the more forgiveness golfers want in their golf drivers.
Golf driver design elements take into account off-center strikes by improving some of the technical features like the moment of inertia (MOI). This means there’s more perimeter weighting which minimizes loss of distance on mishits.
Typically, the easiest golf driver to hit is one that has a larger clubhead and clubface, cavity backs, wider soles, thicker toplines, high MOI, and low center of gravity.
While a forgiving driver helps a bad game look less horrible, it is definitely not a cure for a bad swing.
2023 – Top Rated 5 Golf Drivers
Let’s get started on what we think are the best drivers in 2023, starting with the legendary TM M6…
1. TaylorMade M4 Driver
The TaylorMade M4 Driver is an excellent option for beginner golfers and hobbyists who are looking for a forgiving driver that doesn’t sacrifice distance.
This driver is designed to help golfers improve their game while having an enjoyable experience on the golf course.
The combination of Twist Face and Speed Pocket technology provides enhanced forgiveness and corrective performance across the entire face of the club, making it easier to hit off-center shots with more accuracy and consistency.
One of the standout features of the TaylorMade M4 Driver is its Geocoustic technology, which utilizes advanced sole shaping techniques to deliver a solid and explosive sound with exceptional feel.
The recessed sole contour also frees up volume to produce a larger clubface with an enhanced sweet spot, providing golfers with added confidence and a better overall feel when striking the ball.
Perhaps the most impressive aspect of the TaylorMade M4 Driver is its Twist Face technology.
This revolutionary face curvature reduces sidespin and delivers straighter shots on off-center strikes, making it easier for beginner golfers and hobbyists to maintain consistency and accuracy, even when they don’t hit the ball square on the clubface.
- Twist Face technology reduces sidespin and delivers straighter shots on off-center strikes
- Geocoustic technology provides a solid and explosive sound with exceptional feel
- Forgiveness and corrective performance across the entire face of the club
- Enhanced sweet spot for added confidence and better overall feel
- Designed for beginners and hobbyists who want to improve their game
- The TaylorMade M4 Driver may not be suitable for more advanced golfers who require greater customization options
- Some golfers may not like the sound produced by the Geocoustic technology
- The larger clubface may take some time to get used to for golfers who are used to smaller drivers
2. Wilson Golf Pro Staff SGI Driver MW 1
If you are a beginner golfer or a hobbyist looking for the perfect driver to improve your game, then the Wilson Golf Pro Staff SGI Driver MW 1 could be the ideal choice for you.
This driver has been specifically designed to instill confidence in any new or improving golfer off the tee and maximize their performance.
One of the standout features of the Wilson Golf Pro Staff SGI Driver MW 1 is the large 460cc footprint it boasts.
This advanced engineering ensures that the driver offers increased head stability and a high launch, which translates to incredible distance without sacrificing accuracy even on off-center strikes.
The driver’s 10.5° loft is just perfect, thus making the golfer’s shot more forgiving and easy.
Additionally, with a high-quality lightweight graphite shaft, the Pro Staff SGI Driver represents excellent value for money and performance.
Another major feature of this driver is its forged titanium composite 460cc oversized head, which significantly enhances power weighting technology.
This means that the driver has a larger sweet spot face with a stronger loft that’s perfect for generating greater distance with every stroke.
- The large 460cc footprint offers stability and a high launch angle, translating to incredible distance without sacrificing accuracy on off-center strikes
- The driver’s 10.5° loft is forgiving and easy to hit
- The high-quality lightweight graphite shaft offers excellent value for money and performance
- The driver’s oversized head features power-weighting technology that delivers greater distance with every stroke
- The Pro Staff SGI Driver also comes in both right and left-hand versions to cater to all golfers’ needs
- The driver may not be suitable for experienced and professional golfers seeking a high degree of control
- Some may find the 10.5° loft too weak, thus sacrificing distance on their shots
3. Cobra Golf 2022 Air X Driver
The Cobra Golf 2022 Air X Driver is a fantastic choice for beginner golfers and hobbyists who want to experience a light and effortless swing.
With a total weight of only 85g (head, shaft, and grip combined), the club feels incredibly light and provides a comfortable swing for greater swing speeds.
The lightweight design is thanks to the head, shaft, and grip all being composed of lightweight materials that limit unnecessary weight in the club.
Additionally, utilizing a carbon crown material that is lighter allows for even more weight reduction, with a total of 2 grams being removed from the club’s head.
The back-heel weighting on the driver is a standout feature, as it helps provide extra stability on off-center hits, which beginner golfers and hobbyists may experience more frequently.
Additionally, this weighting has a draw bias, which will help golfers who have a tendency to slice the ball.
Alongside the back-heel weighting, the new hosel design provides 20% more offset, further aiding in eliminating a golfer’s slice, making it easier to find more fairways.
When testing the Cobra Golf 2022 Air X Driver, we found that the lightweight design made it easy to achieve higher swing speeds, meaning that shots traveled further than ever before.
The club’s offset design was also a significant feature that helped eliminate the slice from a shot, which is particularly useful for golfers who are struggling with this aspect of their game.
One of the few drawbacks we found during testing was that the club’s lightweight design may not be ideal for golfers who prefer a heavier club.
The Cobra Golf 2022 Air X Driver’s back-heel weighting, while useful, may not be suitable for those who prefer the club to be more balanced throughout.
- Lightweight design that makes the club easy to swing
- Carbon crown material for weight reduction
- Back-heel weighting for stability on off-center hits
- Offset design that helps eliminate a golfer’s slice
- May not be suitable for golfers who prefer a heavier club
- Back-heel weighting may not be suitable for those who prefer a more balanced club throughout
4. Cleveland Launcher XL Lite Driver
If you are a beginner golfer or a hobbyist looking for a driver suitable for your level of play, then the Cleveland Launcher XL Lite Driver might just be the club for you.
This driver is packed with features that promote speed and distance, while also allowing for improved accuracy and control.
One of the standout features of the Cleveland Launcher XL Lite Driver is its Lite-Weight design. The absence of a weight-adding adjustability sleeve and an ultra-lightweight shaft reduces the overall weight of the club by 12g, making it 0.25″ longer.
This unique feature increases the speed of the swing, which in turn improves the distance off the tee.
Another notable feature is the XL head design, which offers an MOI of 5,100 g-cm2. This translates to increased forgiveness, which is ideal for beginner golfers and hobbyists who tend to hit the ball off-center.
Additionally, the high launch from low-and-deep weighting ensures maximum distance with each swing for more fun out on the course. The Rebound Frame of the Cleveland Launcher XL Lite Driver is yet another feature that deserves recognition.
With two alternating zones of flexibility and rigidity, this driver directs more energy into the golf ball and increases ball speed, thus increasing the distance on every shot.
If you are looking for better balance and more control, the Action Mass CB feature may be beneficial. This feature includes an 8g weight placed inside the end of the grip, which improves balance and control without requiring any extra effort.
For even more precision, the Accuracy Build configuration reduces the length of the club by an inch without counterbalancing for maximum control off the tee.
This custom configuration ensures that players have the utmost control and accuracy with each swing.
- LITE-WEIGHT DESIGN for improved swing speed and distance
- XL HEAD DESIGN for increased forgiveness and high launch
- REBOUND FRAME for increased ball speed and distance
- ACTION MASS CB for better balance and control
- ACCURACY BUILD for max control off the tee
- The absence of an adjustable weight sleeve may not be ideal for players who prefer to adjust their club’s swing weight
- The increased length may not be suitable for players who prefer a shorter club length for increased control
5. PXG 2022 0211 Z Driver
As a beginner golfer or hobbyist, searching for the right driver can be a daunting task. Luckily, the PXG 0211 Z Driver is here to simplify the process.
This driver is designed to make it easy to take your game to the next level, thanks to its purist approach to product design and commitment to high-quality and better technologies.
The large, carbon fiber clubhead design and patented dual internal cavity technology are specifically crafted to encourage effortless launch and confidence off the tee.
The Ti811 titanium alloy body and Ti412 titanium alloy face provide both durability and performance-enhancing benefits.
What’s more, the PXG 0211 Driver also features an adjustable hosel that can change the loft (+/-) 1½ degrees to optimize trajectory, ensuring you can easily tailor your shot to the course at hand.
The shaft matrix offers options to customize your club’s feel and flexibility, with the X-Stiff, Stiff, Regular, Senior, and Ladies flexes.
The PX HZRDUS Black 60 6.0 is X-Stiff Flex, the Evenflow Riptide CD 50G 6.0 is Stiff Flex, the EvenFlow Riptide CB 50g 5.5 is Regular Flex, while the Cypher 40 5.0 is Senior Flex and Cypher 40 4.0 is Ladies Flex.
This makes the PXG 0211 Driver a versatile tool in your arsenal, capable of meeting your unique needs as a golfer.
- A carbon fiber clubhead design and patented dual internal cavity technology encourage effortless launch and confidence off the tee, promoting an excellent experience for beginners and hobbyists alike
- A purist approach to product design and commitment to high-quality and better technologies ensure top-notch performance with every swing
- The adjustable hosel allows you to tailor your shot trajectory to the course at hand, making this driver a versatile tool in your arsenal
- A diverse shaft matrix with various flex options offers customization, providing the flexibility to meet each golfer’s unique needs
- The clubhead may be too large or bulky for some golfers, leading to reduced maneuverability and accuracy, especially for those with faster swing speeds
- The PXG 0211 Driver is quite pricey compared to other drivers on the market, which may make it a less accessible option for some beginners and hobbyists
Mastering the Driver for Long-Term Success
As a beginner and high handicapper, improving your golf game requires all the help you can get.
While mastering drivers can be challenging, cutting-edge technology has made significant advancements in shortening the learning curve.
With many options available, selecting the right driver for your needs may seem daunting. However, it doesn’t have to be complicated.
The ultimate goal is to enhance your game by achieving greater distance off the tee and lowering your scores.
When choosing the best golf driver for a handicapper, several factors come into play. It’s crucial to consider ball speed, accuracy, and distance improvement.
Additionally, your play style, swing speed, skill level, and tendencies should be taken into account.
Finding the perfect driver for your level may require some trial and error. Once you discover the right one, you can transition from a beginner to a mid-level golfer in no time.