There’s no getting away from the fact that many golfers struggle to hit fairway woods from the grass. This is often due to the loft and design of the clubs, restricting their use to the tee box for many of us.
But we’re here to tell you that hitting your 3 wood off the deck doesn’t have to result in embarrassing mishits or air shots!
We introduce you to five of the best and easiest to hit three woods, so you can increase your distance, control, and accuracy when playing from the grass this coming season.
- What is the Easiest 3 Wood to Hit Off the Deck?
- Cleveland Golf Launcher HB Turbo Fairway Wood (Top Pick 2022)
- Callaway Golf 2021 Epic Speed Fairway Wood
- Cobra Men’s Baffler XL Golf Fairway Wood
- Callaway Men’s XR 16 Fairway Wood
- TaylorMade SIM MAX Fairway
- FAQs: All You Need to Know About the 3 Wood Golf Club
- What is the Most Forgiving 3 Wood?
- Why is a 3 Wood so Hard to Hit?
- What’s Easier to Hit – 3 Wood or 5 Wood?
- Is a 3 Wood Easier to Hit than A Driver?
- Consistency and Trust in Your Woods
What is the Easiest 3 Wood to Hit Off the Deck?
The easiest 3 wood to hit off the deck is the Cleveland Golf Launcher HB Turbo fairway wood. We introduce its features and pros in detail below, but its counterbalanced shaft design and turbocharged cup face ensure it is forgiving while increasing ball speed and accuracy.
In addition to Cleveland’s Launcher, we also introduce four other 3 woods that you may find easy to hit off the grass.
Cleveland Golf Launcher HB Turbo Fairway Wood (Top Pick 2022)
Cleveland Golf has well and truly delivered with their exceptional Golf Launcher HB Turbo fairway wood.
Boasting a low center of gravity and a turbocharged cup face, this 15-degree fairway wood ensures you can find the sweet spot and sail your ball towards the pin, no matter where you find yourself out on the golf course. Let’s take a look at some of its key features.
- Turbocharged cup face ensures increased ball speed and more distance, even when hit out of the rough
- Low center of gravity thanks to the HI bore crown, which ensures optimal launch conditions and enables you to get the ball off the ground with minimal effort
- Counterbalanced graphite shaft design that is suitable for all swing speeds and types
- High moment of inertia (MOI) means the club has more resistance and is, therefore, more forgiving than other 3 woods
- Three shaft types – regular, stiff, or senior flex
- The stylish black design ensures it looks great in the bag
- Forgiving and easy to get the ball in the air
- 15-degree loft might be difficult for some beginners to execute the ideal ball trajectory from the grass
This club is perfect for golfers looking to improve their ball striking from the fairway.
3 woods can be notoriously difficult to control when used directly on the grass, and Cleveland has done a great job at ensuring the Launcher is forgiving and easy to generate height and distance without the aid of a tee.
Callaway Golf 2021 Epic Speed Fairway Wood
Callaway’s Epic Speed fairway wood is another great option if you’re struggling to generate your desired ball trajectory off the turf.
Available in various shaft configurations and with an AI-designed face with a generous sweet spot, you will find yourself hitting long and true with an Epic Speed in your bag.
Let’s take a look at what you need to know about one of Callaway’s top-performing woods.
- The clubface contains Jailbreak AI Velocity blades, which is where the speed and distance is generated from
- The center of gravity in the Epic Speed fairway wood is forward in the club, which assists with ball flight, spin robustness, and shot shape dispersion
- Forged C300 maraging steel face cup provides both strength and flexibility upon the execution of your shot
- It comes with a slight draw flight bias and low-mid spin capacity, which is an important consideration for golfers with low handicaps
- Perfect for generating clubhead speed off the grass
- AI jailbreak blades enable spin and distance control
- Perfect for mid-low handicappers
- At $300, it’s not the most affordable 3 wood out there and maybe overly expensive for some recreational and beginner golfers
Callaway has utilized the very latest in golf club technology to produce their Epic Speed fairway wood, and it’s an ideal choice for mid-low handicap players looking for increased speed, control, and distance when playing a 3 wood from the grass.
Cobra Men’s Baffler XL Golf Fairway Wood
At a lower price point than the two clubs introduced thus far, Cobra’s Baffler XL fairway wood benefits from a generous clubface and allows you to generate speed and control when you’re executing golf shots from a distance.
Here are some of the key features that make this an excellent choice for all golfers.
- The Baffler’s low center of gravity combines with its shallow face to contribute to high ball trajectory when played from the grass
- Stiff graphite shaft as standard makes it suitable for those looking for some extra distance from the fairway
- The club is built with oversized rails, which are ideally suited to interaction with the turf, resulting in less drag when the club is landed
- High MOI guarantees forgiveness and consistency when the ball is middled
- 16-degree loft makes it slightly easier to play for mid-high handicappers
- Great price for an excellent club, at less than $140
- Branded headcover included
- Right-handed golf club only
As always, Cobra has delivered an exceptional fairway wood that is oversized, forgiving, and uncompromising when it comes to distance.
Callaway Men’s XR 16 Fairway Wood
Another offering from Callaway is the XR 16 fairway wood. It comprises Callaway’s highest MOI and lightest crown, delivering a club that will help you get results regardless of your lie. It’s well suited to players who generate high clubhead speeds and is packed full of features, as we introduce below.
- Large clubhead makes this 3 wood more forgiving and easier to hit
- The XR 16 benefits from a low center of gravity and high MOI, which contributes positively to ball flight and trajectory
- Benefits from Callaway’s industry-leading forged hyper speed face cup, which increases the surface area of the sweet spot
- The clubhead has been aerodynamically designed, which reduces lag and contributes to ultimate ball speed
- Perfect for golfers with a fast swing
- The large surface area makes it easier to hit the sweet spot at point of impact
- Sleek black and blue design means it looks great in the bag
- Not the best option for beginners as its aerodynamic design is all about clubhead speed at the point of impact
As with all Callaway golf clubs, the XR 19 3 wood ticks so many boxes. It’s sleek, aerodynamic, and relatively forgiving, making it a great option if you don’t want to compromise your distance when playing off the grass from a distance.
TaylorMade SIM MAX Fairway
It wouldn’t be fair to introduce the best and easiest 3 wood to hit out there without bringing your attention to a TaylorMade club.
Their SIM MAX fairway is the pick of the bunch and is one of TaylorMade’s most technologically advanced woods yet. Let’s take a look at some of its key features.
- A steel body combines with the carbon crown to generate explosive distance, high launch, and mid-low spin
- V steel sole has been designed to improve turf interaction and limit friction, which enables you to maintain exceptional club head speed
- The twist face uses corrective face angles, which reduces mishits and produces straighter shots more consistently
- The face is made with C300 ultra-strong steel, which supports explosive speed performance for those with fast swing speeds
- Available as a 3, 5, and 7 wood
- Various shaft options available – regular, stiff, senior, and extra stiff
- It comes with a top-of-the-range Fujikura Ventus Blue graphite shaft as standard
- A high price point at $250 means it might not be within the price range of all golfers
TaylorMade’s SIM MAX fairway wood is another excellent option if you’re looking for a fairway club that is easy to hit from the grass and doesn’t compromise on swing speed or ball trajectory.
FAQs: All You Need to Know About the 3 Wood Golf Club
Read our handy FAQ guide on the 3 wood club and find out all you need to know, including what it is used for and how to select the right one for your game.
What is the Most Forgiving 3 Wood?
The most forgiving 3 wood is the Cleveland Launcher, which is why we have introduced it as our top pick for 2022. But an honorable mention has to go to the Cobra Baffler, as its oversized clubface and increased sweet spot make it easier to execute long fairway shots more consistently.
Why is a 3 Wood so Hard to Hit?
One of the reasons that some golfers find a 3 wood hard to hit is because of the loft of the club. Aside from the putter and driver, the 3 wood is the lowest lofted golf club in the bag, usually with a loft of just 15-17 degrees.
If you’re struggling to hit your 3 wood from the grass, look for a club with a slightly higher loft and see if it makes a difference to your execution.
What’s Easier to Hit – 3 Wood or 5 Wood?
Due to the difference in loft, most golfers find a 5 wood easier to hit than a 3 wood. While a 3 wood typically comes with loft of between 15-17 degrees, a 5 wood is usually between 18-20 degrees. Generally, the higher the loft of a golf club, the easier it is to hit, particularly from the grass.
Is a 3 Wood Easier to Hit than A Driver?
Because of the additional loft, most golfers find a 3 wood slightly easier to hit than a driver. But when discussing ease and consistency, it’s important to acknowledge that every golfer is different.
You should spend some time out on the range practicing with the clubs that you struggle to hit in an effort to improve your game.
Consistency and Trust in Your Woods
While hitting a 3 wood from the grass is by no means easy, the five fairway woods that we’ve introduced above should help you improve your distance, accuracy, and consistency from the turf.
The easiest 3 wood to hit really boils down to a club you feel at home with that gives you the most consistent shots over a full 18 hole round of golf.
Whichever of the 3 woods you choose, we hope you will experience fewer mishits and benefit from the advanced technology of the clubs to improve your overall golf game.