Table of Content
- 1. What Does TXT Mean on EZGO Golf Carts?
- 2. How Much is an EZGO TXT Golf Cart?
- 3. What Years Did EZGO Make the TXT?
- 4. Is my EZGO a TXT or RXV?
- 5. Is EZGO TXT a Good Golf Cart?
- 6. How Much Does an EZGO TXT Weigh?
- 7. How Do I Increase the Speed of My EZGO TXT?
- E-Z-GO TXT Golf Cart Fact of the Matter:
As golf cart brands go, they don’t get much bigger than EZGO.
If you’re in the market for a new golf cart, you’ve probably come across the EZGO TXT model, which is one of the most widely available brands and models out there.
But what’s the story behind the EZGO TXT golf cart? What does the TXT stand for? And is it a decent choice when compared to the popular EZGO RXV model?
To help you decide on the suitability of the EZGO TXT, we answer the above questions and tell you everything you need to know about one of the most popular golf carts on the market.
1. What Does TXT Mean on EZGO Golf Carts?
The acronym ‘TXT’ found on EZGO golf carts stands for Textron, which is the company that is responsible for the manufacturing of the cart. Textron is a multi-industry company and as well as manufacturing EZGO carts, they support brands including Bell, Cessna, Beechcraft, and Lycoming.
EZGO has been a part of Textron since 1960, and the inclusion of TXT on the most popular EZGO golf cart is in recognition of its parent company.
If you are interested in finding out what model EZGO TXT you have, then check the video below from Golf Carts Modified:
2. How Much is an EZGO TXT Golf Cart?
For a new EZGO TXT golf cart, you can expect to pay between $8,000 and $9,000. For example, the new EZGO TXT Freedom is currently retailing at $8,399 directly from the EZGO online store.
As is the case with buying any golf cart, if you add customizations to the EZGO TXT, you will probably pay an extra few hundred dollars per modification, depending on what you add.
For used EZGO TXT golf carts, you can pick them up for considerably less than the RRP for new models. For instance, EZGO TXT carts from 2005 – 2015 are available for between $2,000 and $7,000, saving you money upfront.
But when you buy an older model, you need to be mindful of the general wear and tear on your cart and set aside a budget for repairs and improvements that won’t be necessary when you buy a new model.
3. What Years Did EZGO Make the TXT?
The first EZGO TXT golf cart was manufactured in 1996, and a new model has been released every year since. It is the current model of EZGO carts and one of the best-selling golf cart models of all time.
Prior to the manufacture and release of the TXT in 1996, EZGO released the following carts:
- 1976 – 1987 – EZGO Marathon
- 1988 – 1993 – EZGO Marathon 2
- 1994 – 1995 – EZGO Medalist
You can find out the year of manufacture of a particular EZGO TXT cart by locating your serial number and referring to the EZGO serial number guide.
Alongside the popular TXT model, EZGO also manufactures and distributes the RXV, which we introduce in detail in the following section.
4. Is my EZGO a TXT or RXV?
The two most popular models of EZGO golf carts are the TXT and RXV, so which do you have? Well, the best way to look at it is that the TXT is EZGO’s standard, while the RXV is much easier to customize and enhance.
The RXV model also has 4.4HP compared to the 3HP of the TXT, making it more powerful.
For those of you wondering what RXV stands for, it means Rear Crossview Mirror. It was added to the EZGO fleet in 2008, some twelve years after the debut of the TXT.
The following table should help you understand the differences between the EZGO TXT and RXV models:
|Feature||EZGO Freedom TXT||EZGO Freedom RXV|
|Power Type||48V DC||484AC|
|Battery||6 x 6v or 6 x 8v||4 x 12v|
|Speed Controller||250 amp||235 amp|
|Overall Length||93 inches||94.5 inches|
|Overall Height||67.5 inches||70 inches|
Ultimately, both the TXT and RXV are excellent golf carts in their own right.
But if you’re in the market for a new cart, the RXV has more features than the TXT and is more customizable, making it a better option if you’re keen to personalize it.
5. Is EZGO TXT a Good Golf Cart?
The EZGO TXT is one of the best golf carts available on the market. In production since 1996, it has been the cart of choice for many clubs and golfers alike and is admired for its longevity and ‘workhorse’ properties.
Also, when you buy an EZGO TXT from a trusted dealership, you can be sure that you’re buying a great product that comes with a warranty, which offers additional peace of mind.
To help you decide if the EZGO TXT is right for you, we’ve put together a list of pros and cons:
- It’s stylish, well-built, and likely to last for several years before upgrades or improvements are required.
- The TXT is constructed with a durable steel frame.
- Replacement parts and upgrades are inexpensive and widely available, should you need them.
- The battery life is excellent and can be easily replaced when it starts to dwindle.
- The TXT is not as good as the RXV when it comes to hilly, rugged terrain.
- Older TXT models were built with GE motors that are not as good as those included in newer models.
The bottom line is that if you’re looking to buy a new EZGO TXT golf cart, you will receive a cart that is well made and built to last.
If you would prefer something a little faster and with more of a kick, you could opt for the EZGO RXV instead.
6. How Much Does an EZGO TXT Weigh?
The EZGO TXT has a dry weight of 557 lbs (253kg) without batteries. This table consists of some of the key specifications regarding the weight of the EZGO TXT, so you can ensure it is within your requirements before purchasing it.
- Capacity: 2xpax
- Dry weight: (excluding batteries) 557lbs (253kg).
- Curb weight: 935lbs (424kg).
- Vehicle load capacity: 800lbs (363kg)
The above characteristics are standard for the electric EZGO TXT model.
Be mindful that gas models will vary in weight.
You should also note that if you’re buying a used TXT cart, that any modifications or customizations will have affected its weight.
It’s a good idea to speak to the dealer or seller about any mods if weight is an important consideration.
7. How Do I Increase the Speed of My EZGO TXT?
On level ground, the EZGO TXT is capable of speeds between 10.2 – 14.8 mph (16.4 – 23.8 kph), but it’s possible to increase its speed if you know-how.
In most cases, you can increase the speed of your EZGO TXT cart by reprogramming its speed control, which can be done with the aid of a dealer. There is a feature within the cart known as ‘freedom mode,’ which a dealer can amend to make your cart go up to 19mph.
Most dealers will be happy to do this for free if you buy the cart from them, but others will charge you a fee for their time.
If you’re buying a used cart, you might find that upgrading the batteries will have a positive impact on its overall speed, too.
Alternatively, you could look at upgrading the TXT’s motor, but this will likely cost a fair amount of money that could be put towards a newer model.
Generally, if you notice a decline in your EZGO TXT’s speed, you might not be looking after it well enough.
The following 3 tips will help your TXT function as it should:
- Regularly check the pressure of your tires. Ensuring they’re at the right pressure will help your cart maintain its top speed.
- Consider the weight of your golf bags. If you carry too much weight on your cart, it will inevitably slow it down.
- Upgrade the battery (and keep it charged). While we’ve already mentioned this, it’s worth saying again. Your battery is so important to the speed of your cart, and using a fully charged, new battery will undoubtedly improve its speed.
E-Z-GO TXT Golf Cart Fact of the Matter:
The EZGO TXT golf cart is one of the best models on the market and has been popular with golfers since its debut in 1996.
It has undergone many iterations since then, and the used golf cart market is full of TXT models from the past decade or so.
Essentially, if you’re looking for a golf cart that is well-designed, stylish, and built to last, the EZGO TXT is a great option for you.
If you’re looking for something a little more powerful and customizable, you could go for the EZGO RXV, which we have also introduced above.
But as one of the leading brands in golf cart manufacturing, you can rest assured that any new EZGO cart is of great quality and shouldn’t cause you any problems, at least in the short to medium term.